After being locked in our homes, feelings of anxiety, depression and stress are at an all-time high. Co-Founder and President of BoxUnion, Felicia Alexander, has a simple solution that you might not have considered – punching stuff. While untraditional, this answer is actually much healthier than you think. There is a natural connection between boxing and mental health.
There’s never been a better time to learn how to box. In addition to a hyper-efficient total body workout, it also has an amazing list of mental benefits, including:
– Bringing out your inner fighter – boxing is an incredibly powerful and empowering experience, it’s a skill you can pick up at any age, background or experience level. “It is never too late to glove up”, says Alexander – we have boxers who range in age from seven years old to seventy years old.” The sheer act of putting on gloves will instantaneously make you feel strong.
– It is a natural stress reliever – Stress negatively impacts the body and your health. It causes sleep deprivation, headaches, depression, high blood pressure, tense muscles and more. In addition to the rush of endorphins that come with cardio-based workouts, physically, hitting a punching bag relaxes your body and releases tension. Boxing also provides a more symbolic way to “fight back” and channel your anxiety into a safe outlet.
– You can still experience the mental and physical benefits without equipment – you don’t need a heavy bag to stimulate your mind and get a total body workout, shadowboxing is an incredible at-home workout that engages the brain and body.
– It helps beat the boredom in a constructive way – boxing classes require focus and are extremely fun to do when you are stuck at home. You are not just working out, you are building a lifelong skill. It is impossible to think of anything else when you are trying to nail a six-punch combination.
– Boxing creates community – engaging in live classes, like BoxUnion Digital, allow you to connect with others across the world. You may be at home, but the energy is still contagious.
BoxUnion’s Digital Platform takes de-stressing to the next level. You can’t have a strong body without a strong mind says BoxUnion Master Coach, Kyle Schneider. The brand combines a powerful mix of mind, body, music and messaging – when the music is flowing and you are moving to the beat, there’s no better feeling!