A quick two-hour drive from Los Angeles and viola, I was transported…I arrived in Santa Barbara’s Hotel Californian to enjoy a fabulous midweek stay. Located in the heart of the Funk Zone, Hotel Californian is in the heart of SB’s finest wineries, cool boutiques, (great vintage) restaurants and cafés (Dart for coffee and matcha!).
Hotel Californian is a boutique, 121-room hotel, featuring super chic spaces from celebrity designer Martyn Lawrence Bullard. Elegant, clean and chic.
I attended a stunning dinner at Blackbird – part of their new summer calendar of engaging events and immersive experiences. (read below!)
Catering to visitors and locals looking to indulge in the hotel’s iconoclastic spirit, the chic urban hotel has curated a series of seasonal events that showcase its compelling indoor and outdoor spaces while embracing the vibrant vibe of the surrounding neighborhood. The exciting roster of activities includes the reintroduction of the hotel’s HOWL @ Djinnfull-moon event series and Sunset Sessions with live DJs on the Mirador rooftop deck – both back after a two-year hiatus –along with the hotel’s first-ever Winemaker Dinner Series at Blackbird restaurant and in person wellness programming – all designed to further demonstrate the hotel’s connection to the local community and position as the pinnacle destination along the American Riviera. Dedicated to the pursuit of getting lost in the experience, Hotel Californian invites guests to fill their summer days and nights with unforgettable happenings that capture the untamed essence of Santa Barbara through these invigorating summer programs.
What a treat this Winemaker Dinner was – divine food, top notch wines and amazing conversation with strangers who became friends!
WINEMAKER DINNERSMonthly at Blackbird, 6:00 p.m. – 8:30 p.m.The newest addition to Hotel Californian’s program lineup is the Winemaker Dinner series, a monthly food and wine pairing hosted in Blackbird restaurant by visiting winemakers from the Foley Family Wines portfolio. Traveling oenophiles and local wine enthusiasts can indulge in exquisite wines paired with a four-course meal curated and prepared by Hotel Californian Executive Chef Travis Watson. This special dining experience features a rotating selection of wines from across the Foley Family Wines portfolio paired alongside local, sustainable dishes for a contemporary upscale dining experience like no other. Guests who enjoy the wines featured at the Winemaker Dinners can experience them again by visiting The Society: State & Mason, which is now open daily, from Sunday through Thursday from 11:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m., and Friday and Saturday from 11:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Serving as Santa Barbara’s newest refuge for wine aficionados in the bustling Funk Zone neighborhood, the intimate tasting room celebrates the intersection between world-class wines, exquisite cuisine, and immersive, memorable travel experiences. To learn more and book a reservation to the first Winemaker Dinner of the series on Thursday, June 23, visit Hotel’s Californian’s online calendar of events. Timing for each monthly event will be available online ongoing and pricing for each event varies.
More fun activites!
HOWL Monthly at Djinn, 5:00 p.m. – 10:00 p.m.
Guests can expect the unexpected as Hotel Californian brings back its popular HOWL @ Djinn full-moon event series with inventive cocktails by legendary mixologist Devon Espinosa. Happening monthly during each full moon in Djinn, the hotel’s library bar named after supernatural genies from Moroccan folklore, each event features mystic libations – with each month featuring a unique cocktail based on the lunar cycle, personalized Tarot card readings, and classic board games while local indie record label Val-Mar Records spins vinyl. Complimentary to join and open to guests and the public, visit Hotel’s Californian’s online calendar of events for more information or to RSVP for the next HOWL @ Djinn event:
- Wednesday, July 13: Buck Moon
- Thursday, August 11: Sturgeon Moon
- Friday, September 9: Harvest Moon
- Sunday, October 9: Hunter’s Moon
- Monday, November 7: Beaver Moon
- Wednesday, December 7: Cold Moon
- Every Sunday from July 3 – September 4, Mirador rooftop deck, 5:00 p.m. – 9:00 p.m.Every Sunday from July 3 to September 4, audiophiles and sunset seekers alike can come together for Sunset Sessions at Mirador, Hotel Californian’s exclusive rooftop deck, to enjoy craft spirits, delectable bites, and live DJ sets. The ultimate wind down to the weekend, guests can take in 360-degree panoramic views of the Pacific Ocean and majestic Santa Ynez Mountains as the sun sets over the American Riviera. The complete list of participating musical tastemakers, which will be unveiled on an ongoing basis, is being curated by popular local DJ Dan Dubinsky, who will also headline throughout the summer. Sunset Sessions is free to hotel guests and costs $15 presale and $20 at the door for locals. Space is limited so advance registration via Hotel Californian’s website is highly encouraged.Workouts don’t have to feel like work at Majorelle’s Saturday Sessions, which has returned in-person after being hosted virtually for the past two years. This summer, the exclusive fitness series will be curated by Los Angeles-based fitness instructor and founder of Recharge Wellness Co., Rachel McClusky, who also created The Recharge Method. Rachel has hand-selected a rotating lineup of all-star instructors and classes that emphasize the connection of mind and body while moving and creating a release, and she will also host her own series of classes during Saturday Sessions. From sun salutations to sculpt, HIIIT, barre, Pilates, dance cardio, healing meditation, and more, these feel-good fixes are suitable for all levels and provide the perfect excuse to hit pause, reconnect and recharge. Curious exercisers can continue to join these sessions via Hotel Californian’s Instagram LIVE every Saturday morning to get fit and fabulous from anywhere in the world. Upcoming Saturday Sessions include:
- Saturday, June 18: Barre with Amanda Glassman
- Saturday, June 25: Sculpt with Katie Mullen
- Saturday, July 2: Recharge Method with Rachel McClusky
- Saturday, July 9: Sculpt with Remy Kam
- Saturday, July 16: Yoga with Marquite Rene
- Saturday, July 23: Pilates with Alysia Pope
Saturday Sessions classes are $10 for locals and complimentary for hotel guests and members of Majorelle’s membership program. This newly launched offering provides members with two 60-minute Custom treatments per month, complimentary Fitness Center access, 20 percent off additional treatments and spa retail, access to the Tan-Tan rooftop pool (blackout dates apply), 10 guest passes per year, and $10 daily valet parking. Members also receive 15 percent off the Best Flexible Rate for an overnight stay and a 15 percent food and beverage discount at The Society: State & Mason, Blackbird, Goat Tree, Djinn, and Tan-Tan poolside dining. More information about membership and Majorelle’s one-of-a-kind spa treatments can be found at HotelCalifornian.com.
36 State St, California, Santa Barbara, California, United States, 93101