Spoiler Alert -celebrity esthetician- Candace Marino, aka the LA Facialist is not an advocate of self extractions. According to Candace” It’s the equivalent of giving free condoms to teens – not encouraging it, but if they’re going to do it, let’s make it safe!”
Seeing too many horror stories as clients were sucked into the rabbit hole of the 10X magnifying mirror, Candace believes in saving it for the experts.
That being said, trapped at home with a next facial [potentially] months away, it’s peak pick time so she is breaking down the safest way to self-extract and care for your poor pores!
Here is a basic breakdown of her at home “Pore Protocol”
- Gentle Cleanser with light acids for mild exfoliation
- Product Recco: SkinBetter Oxygen Infusion wash/oxygenating acid complex to help prevent/treat breakouts
Heat / DIY Steam [Note: NOT recommended for anyone with melasma or hyperpigmentation.]
- Favorite/most cost effective way to steam is by boiling hot water
- Throw some tea in there to give off spa vibes
- Hover over the pot with a towel over your head to trap in steam for 5 minutes to allow your skin to soften
- No longer or it can cause TEWL [transepidermal water loss and dehydration]
Direction for Extract but first – PUT down the knife – use clean fingers only – leave digging devices to the professionals to avoid potential permanent scarring or pigmentation issues and injury.
- Wrap finger in tissue or cotton, gently pinch the skin together and press upward
- Press only the direction you want the congestion to go. If you’re pressing down into the skin you’re making things worse, and potentially spreading bacteria under the skin.
- Be gentle and give pores a break in between & minimize nails
- Leave aggravated or super stubborn acne alone – hard angry or underground is no go
Cleanse — repeat same as above
Ice Roller Product Recco: Stacked — ideal for immediate for inflammation reduction and pain
Tone Product Recco: Biologique Recherche Lotion P50W with AHA/BHA to micro-exfoliate and balance skin
“Pores are not doors – they don’t open or close – but we can improve their appearance” – Candace Marino
TOP TEN PORE IMPROVING TIPS
- Extract with caution and care
- Keep face free from cellular build up and environmental sludge — triple cleanse
- Clean pores will always appear smaller so exfoliate daily [Salicylic Acid is your friend – use it!]
- Strengthen collagen and elastin with peptides
- Support balance using humectants and moisture binders like hyaluronic acid
- Don’t overly dry – limit Benzoyl Peroxide it can create a rebound effect of more production of sebum
- Incorporate BHA in skincare daily – add it!
- Use hydrating, calming and soothing serum after extractions iS Clinical HydraCool Serum
- Retinol for turnover without trauma Better Skin AlphaRet overnight combo of AHA and Retinol
- Go for the big guns weekly with a peel AlphaRet Peel Pads with the starring role of Retinoic Acid
FINAL NOTE: little dots on your nose most likely aren’t blackheads, they’re sebaceous filaments.
Blackheads will be raised, textured, truly black, thick and waxy. The skin oils solidify, forming plugs that can dilate the pore further leading to enlarged pores. Sebaceous filaments are the normal function of the follicle. Narrow, lighter in color under the skin — they do not fully obstruct the pore and are not meant for extractions.